The five great problems in theoretical physics
- Combining Quantum Mechanics and Relativity in a background independent way as relativity requires a space time (background) that evolves. There is also the problems of determinism,different observational perspectives and continuity of space and time.
- Resolve the foundational problems of quantum mechanics that deal with the problems of realism and determinism to avoid the problem of observers.
- Determine whether the particles and forces can be united in a single theory. This means combining bosons with fermions with the introduction of a limited number of tuning constants.
- Explain how the free constants of the standard model occur - why do they take their particular values?
- Deal with the problems of dark matter and dark energy - the apparent contradictions of general relativity at the galactic scale with respect to acceleration and the need for a positive cosmological constant for the accelerating expansion of the universe.